Show Love. Shop Small: Give Back this Small Business Saturday
- November 25, 2020
COLUMBUS, OH – March 19, 2021 – Washington Prime Group Inc. (NYSE: WPG) today provided an update on redevelopment efforts at Southern Park Mall. The Company remains committed to executing a firstclass redevelopment project, which will feature the DeBartolo Commons athletic and entertainment green space and event venue for the benefit of Southern Park Mall’s guests, tenants, and community
neighbors and partners.
New updates on leasing and development initiatives include the following:
• Development work is ongoing for DeBartolo Commons, a four-acre, outdoor athletic and entertainment green space and event venue, as crews work toward an October 2021 grand opening;
• Partnership and programming details for DeBartolo Commons, as well as community grand opening events, will be announced closer to October;
• The Bunker, along with its attached restaurant Bogey’s, and Steel Valley Brew Works are expected to open in the weeks prior to the DeBartolo Commons’ grand opening;
• The Bunker, Bogey’s, and Steel Valley Brew Works will overlook and connect to DeBartolo Commons, providing a go-to outdoor gathering space and place of connection within the community at a time when it’s needed most, while continuing to prioritize health and safety;
• Southern Park Mall is currently in discussions with exciting local and regional food and beverage options to occupy the final space adjacent to the redevelopment;
• Planet Fitness is expected to open its new location at Southern Park Mall in April 2021;
• PNC Bank recently completed a refresh of its location on Market Street;
• Macy’s has commenced a renovation of its store at Southern Park Mall;
• The public restrooms, both in the food court and near Chick-fil-A, are scheduled for full refresh this summer, in advance of a full interior mall refresh which is expected to commence in January 2022.
Washington Prime Group is committed to investing more than $30 million in Southern Park Mall over the next few years, of which approximately $9 million has been invested to date. Improvements made at Southern Park Mall are expected to provide numerous benefits to the Boardman community, including:
• A first-class retail and entertainment hub that will attract businesses and solidify and expand jobs at Southern Park Mall;
• Expanded real estate property, sales and income tax bases for the benefit of local governments and taxpayers;
• A first-class greenspace – DeBartolo Commons – built to host outdoor entertainment, sporting, and other public events and activities throughout the year;
• A hike and bike path across the Southern Park Mall property that connects DeBartolo Commons to Boardman Park and eventually most residential neighborhoods south of 224 – both east and west of Market Street; and
• Major new storm water retention facilities on the Southern Park Mall property that will relieve the potential for flooding downstream in Boardman Township, south of the mall property.
As previously announced, Washington Prime Group’s board of directors has engaged advisors to help the Company negotiate with certain of its corporate debt holders. While the coronavirus pandemic has created significant challenges for many companies, including Washington Prime Group, the Company expects that these negotiations will allow the Company to significantly strengthen its financial position and is confident that the process will enable Washington Prime Group to emerge stronger. During this process, the Company expects business as usual at Southern Park Mall, where its retailers, partners and employees will continue operating as normal, with a focus on providing safe and enjoyable experiences for guests and community partners.